Family

Family

To build or not to build?

9:59 AM Posted In , Edit This 3 Comments »
There is something that I have been pondering in my head for quite some time. I haven't really voiced it much but now I'm starting to wonder if it could be a good idea. So the question is: Should we continue to look for a house or should we just buy some land and build our own house?

There are obviously pros and cons to each side. One major pro to buying a house is that you get to buy it and move in right away. Which makes building a con because you have to wait until the house is finished to move in. One of the major questions in my head is which would be more expensive? I know that if we decide to build we won't want to build cheap. If I am going to build a house I want it to be somewhere where we will live forever. It obviously won't be a luxurious home but it won't be cheap either. So does expense fit into a pro or con? I have no clue! Does anyone have any advice for me????? I need more pros and cons for each. If we were to build I have absolutely no idea where to start! Help!

3 comments:

Caitlin said...

I say, build a house. If you continue looking for a place to buy..that will probably take just as long for you and Phil to agree on one again as it would be to wait for your house to get finished to move in. Not only this, but you guys can decide at a much slower place the different choices such as, carpet, linoleum, siding color, kind of wood for the cabinets, type of vanities for the bathrooms, etc etc. Basically you get to choose everything you want on the way and you and Phil would probably have an easier time deciding on things that way, then taking a whole house and its components and having to decide. If you want to find a home that you want to live in FOREVER, I DEFINITELY think this would be the best approach...then you can make everything EXACTLY how you want it.

Unknown said...

But that also means that we have to agree upon a whole bunch of decisions together. Building seems scary! I'm not sure if we are ready! Plus I heard it is more expensive. Who knows... I keep going back and forth. I just need to make a decision and stick with it.

Sarah said...

Buying a house would be cheaper, especially if it was foreclosed or bank owned. But then that all depends on if you can actually find one where you want to live and both of you agree on. Building would be more expensive but I guess you guys could make it how you would want it plus make it more energy efficient. Or you could always go with a prefab home which would be less expensive and quicker to build.